Monday, January 9, 2012

a fabulous recipe!!!

How was your weekend.  My was so great I did not want it to come to an end.  Friday I got to spin and then lifted.  I got to go out with my three favorite people.  I enjoyed dinner.  I enjoyed dessert.  I enjoyed the company.

Saturday when I woke up my sister called me to go for a run.  I wasn't going to go since I haven't ran since Christmas eve but I decided it wouldn't hurt.  I ran six and a half miles and I think she did around ten.  I met up with her after she had already started so I didn't go as far.  I felt great on the run even if I was thinking about donuts the whole time.  :)  It looks like it was early but it was actually nine in the morning.  Just cold.


Post run I was starving since it was 10:30 and all I'd had to eat was half a banana with peanut butter.  I drove past the donut shop....thank goodness....and made this ginormous breakfast.  These pancakes are sooooooo yummy and I have made them for the past four mornings in a row.  They are a protein pancake and these ones had cinnamon in them.  They are pretty low calorie and high in protein.  That was a fabulous post run meal.  My belly was happy.


The next morning I made the same basic pancake recipe but left out the cinnamon and added 12 chopped chocolate chips....that only adds 35 calories.  I was in heaven.  Really.  These are good.

 Now for the recipe!!!!

3 Tbs whole grain flour ( I used 2 tablespoons brown rice flour and 1 tablespoon coconut flour.  But I'm sure oat flour, almond flour, and whole wheat flour would all work as well.)
2 Tbs vanilla whey protein powder ( I uses Dymatize Elite)
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (heaping 1/4 teaspoon)
1 egg white
1/3 skim milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
vinegar.....yes vinegar  (about a tablespoon)
*Add in any mix-ins.  If I do cinnamon I use a lot....like a teaspoon.  If I use chocolate chips I use dark chocolate or semi sweet and do half a serving....so around 12 regular size ones, or 8 jumbo ones, chopped them coarsely.

First whip the egg white and add the baking soda, baking powder, and vinegar.  This step makes them nice and fluffy.


Add the rest of the ingredients.  This is the chocolate chip recipe.


Cook em up.  This makes two good size pancakes.  Make these.  They are so worth it.

They have around 212 calories in both of them and 27 grams of protein (depending on the flour you use and the milk....Almond milk had less calories).  If you add chocolate chips add on about 35 more calories.  Also, remember to top them with healthy things so calories don't add up there.  I topped these with 1/4 banana, a drizzle of maple agave......just a drizzle, and unsweetened coconut.  Maybe a teaspoon or two of that.  Don't go overboard on toppings.  :)



A lot of people ask me where I get my flours from.  Most of the time your local health food store should have some.  Sunflower Market, Whole Foods, Good Earth, Trader Joes, etc.  But you know what???  Amazon.com is amazing for this kind of stuff and I don't have to leave my house.  I get my coconut flour from there, oat flour, and others.  So great.


This was on the seat of my car when I hopped in it this morning.  Jose is so good to me.  His note says, "smile, enjoy life, and this roll.  I love you."  Ahhhhh, thanks for the extra fat darlin.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment