Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chia balls....

I like that title.  Reminds me of this.  And it's so appropriate because it's a Christmas segment.  Right?  I made some raw chia seed balls today but first...the workout.

I started off with a Jillian Michael's workout from her book "Making The Cut."

Wide grip lat pulldowns-15
Medium underhand lat pulldowns-15
Jumping Lunges-20
Hill sprint-1 minute

Terry pulls-20, 12, 10 (upping weight with every set)
Standing lat pulldowns-20
Back kicks with shoulder press-10 each leg
Hill sprint-1 minute

Seated cable rows-20
Step ups-20 each leg
Butt kicks-1 minute

Incline bicep curls-20
Pike crunches-20
Hamstring curls on ball-15
Butt kicks-1 minute

Supermans-20 then hold 30 seconds
Boat pose-30 sec
Reverse Plank- 1 minute
*Basically just speed through the workout as fast as possible.


Then I did a little more back/biceps:

Bar curls on pulley-15
Standing lat pulldowns-15
*repeat three times

Reverse fly on incline bench-15
Incline bicep curls-15
*repeat three times

Did stairs for 15 minutes and a sprint workout on the treadmill for twenty minutes.  One minute on one minute off.

Breakfast was oatmeal with a few banana slices and a protein drink in the form of hot cocoa.


I snacked on a string cheese and pirate booty while we were out and about.  Nice.  Lunch was a chicken sandwich with goat cheese and spinach on a sandwich thin.


This was soooooooo good.  I devoured it.


After lunch I whipped up some new balls.  I wanted to use chia seeds in them.  Chia seeds are a great source of energy and I usually take them in the morning.  Put a tablespoon in a cup of water and let it sit fifteen minutes.  The seeds form a gel around them so it has kind of a really thin tapioca pudding texture. I just down it real quick.  The taste isn't bad at all.  Here are some facts about chia seeds:


1.  Helps stabilize blood sugar
2.  Promotes energy and sustains energy
3.  Good for your heart, lowers cholesterol
4.  Maintains hydration
5.  Helps build lean muscle mass
6.  Fiber for digestive health
7.  Builds strong bones
8.  Excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids
9.  Loaded with antioxidants
10. Gluten free
11. Good source of protein
12. Packed with vitamins and minerals

After reading all of those plus more that are not listed.....who wouldn't want to eat/drink chia seeds.  I think these seeds are especially important for athletes.  If i can get all that nutrition with the added energy and protein I am all for it.  Now for the balls:


Mix all together:

1/4 cup chia seeds
2 cups raw old fashioned oats
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup almond butter
2-3 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons truvia
1/4 coconut (I didn't have any unsweetened so I threw in the sweetened kind.  If you have unsweetened...go with that).
2 tablespoons raisins
10 prunes chopped
* I didn't add protein powder because I didn't think about it...but next time I will add a scoop.

Form into balls.  You can refrigerate these or freeze them.  Great for a long run or an endurance workout.


I'm all done Christmas shopping.  Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment